YoganandaHealth.com Copyright 2016 All Rights Reserved
Inner Culture, December 1934
For twenty centuries the birth of Christ has been celebrated differently by the different Christian sects. Many have counted the coming of Christmas as a time for exchanging nicely caparisoned, costly gifts. Many children look upon Christmas as the time for Santa Claus to give them new toys. They hang empty stockings around the chimney place. Santa is supposed to slip down the sooty opening of the chimney and fill the stockings with the longed-
Some hoary gentlemen who have lost interest in life perhaps look upon Christmas as a good time for a special home-
Some religious institutions brace up and decorate their places and invite crowds, expecting big collections to enhance church activities. It is right to use business methods in order to advance the work of Christ in establishing Him in the Souls of men, but it is blasphemous to use Christ merely as a means for increasing business.
Some churches thank God intensely for sending His beloved Child to redeem the sin-
Is it right to use the birth of Christ for material rejoicings?
The question is: Is it right to use the birth of Christ for material rejoicings involved in the exchange of gifts, Christmas dinners, and decorations, or is it right to worship the coming of Christ only in spirit?
Most of the superficial celebrators of Christmas turn Christmas into an expensive gift-
Birthday celebrations are intended to make the person in question feel that His life should be useful to society. They also focus the attention of people on qualified individuals. Jesus does not need our celebration for His rejoicing or His upliftment, but we certainly need to celebrate the coming of Christ at least once every year in order to remember His exemplary, abiding, uplifting life, so that we may perchance pattern or remold our lives after His life, through all futurity. We need to celebrate the birthday of Christ every Christmas because His life is permanently useful and inspiring to all humanity in all Ages.
Millions of people are expecting to celebrate the coming Christmas purely as a social event. Very few are looking forward to it as the time for spiritually remembering Christ and for exchanging the lasting gifts of Soul and heart qualities.
Are you going to celebrate Christmas by beholding the Christ love for all living creatures?
The question before you is: Are you going to use Christmas just as a romanticism of religious festivity, or are you going to celebrate Christmas by beholding the Christ love for all brother races and all living creatures? Are you going to celebrate the coming of Christ by really feeling the universal love, forgiveness, character, renunciation, and devotion of Christ within you? Unless you made the effort to really get acquainted with the ever-
I am not telling you to omit the physical, social factor in connection with the Christmas celebration. What I want is that you should not, like millions of those who forget God, omit the paramount Spiritual factor in your Christmas celebration. Add to your social celebration of Christmas the celebration of bringing Christ a second time into your meditative consciousness.
Prepare yourself to celebrate Christmas in the real way
Christ is only suggested in social Christmas festivities, but He is seen and felt as an everlasting, ever-
l. Prepare your heart so that you may say to those who crucify you daily with unkind actions and words and ingratitudes in exchange for the good you give them: “Father, teach me to love those, my error-
2. Make your heart an altar of Christ-
3. Forgive all your imaginary and real enemies even as Christ forgave His adversaries.
4. Make up your mind to love Christ as the joy of deep meditation, and thus celebrate the second coming of Christ, and a Spiritual Christmas, daily within yourself.
5. Make the unknown Christ known within yourself by seeing Him born a second time as the ever-
6. Govern all the actions of your life with the honesty and fearlessness of Jesus Christ.
7. Overcome the sorrow-
8. Behold the omnipresent joy of Christ in all men, in all Saints, in all creatures, in the star-
9. Remember that, although Christ was born once, still He can be born again every Christmas, or at any other time, in your meditation-
10. Give good for evil, understanding for misunderstanding, kindness for unkindness, peace for disquietude, calmness for restlessness, and lasting Bliss for sense pleasure..
11. Behold the omnipresent, ever-
12. Do whatever you do with the thought and peace of Christ. This Christmas behold Christ born anew in the beauty of all Nature, in your awakened wisdom, in everything which wears true beauty, and in everybody who saturates himself with the fragrance of Christ-
13. Exchange Spiritual gifts by giving your outstanding good qualities to others who need them and by receiving the ennobling Soul-
14. Exchange gifts with the thought of Christ and the thought of giving Him the gift of your heart and receiving the gift of Himself on the Christmas tree of your calm consciousness, richly decorated and glistening with the Soul-
|PDF Yogananda's Recipes|
|Yogananda on Diet|
|Yogananda on Health & Healing|
|Yogananda On Memory|
|Yogananda's Spiritual Wisdom|
|Yogananda's Christmas Greetings|
|Yogananda's New Year's Greeting|
|Yogananda's Easter Greeting|
|Buttermilk Skim Milk|
|Diet & Disposition|
|Fruits & Vegetables|
|Meat Eating vs Vegetarian|
|Moderation for Health|
|What is the Perfect Diet?|
|What Sustains the Body?|
|Yoga Method of Diet|
|Divine Will Healing Lesson 2|
|Evaluation of Curative Methods|
|Learn to Sleep at Will|
|Obtaining Divine Healing|
|Relax and Calm Yourself|
|Rejuvenate Yourself Part II|
|Rules for Healthy Livng|
|The Art of Rejuvenation Part I|
|The Art of Rejuvenation Part II|
|The Art of Rejuvenation Part III|
|The Art of Rejuvenation Part IV|
|Underlying Unity of Medical and Mental Cures|
|How to Cultivate a Good Memory|
|The Art of Developing Memory|
|The Art of Developing Memory Part I|
|The Art of Developing Memory Part II|
|Develop Your Mental Radio|
|Food in the Future|
|Quotes on health and healing|
|The Body as Materialized Vibration|
|You Are the Life Force|
|Yogananda’s Christmas Greeting 1936|
|Yogananda’s Why Celebrate Christmas 1934|
|Yogananda’s Christmas Greetings 1939|
|Yogananda’s Christmas Letter 1933|
|Yogananda’s Christmas Greetings 1938|
|Meditate on Christmas Eve|
|Recipes Page One|
|Recipes Page Two|
|Recipes Page Three|
|Value of Occasional Fasting|
|Three Recipes May-June 1926|
|Three Recipes July-August 1926|
|Three Recipes Sept-October|
|Two Recipes Nov-Dec 1926|
|Potatoes in Parchment|
|Yogananda on Affirmations|